Thursday, December 08, 2005

Belated Review

As I really don't have anything to discuss today (except that my burglar got a blowtorch today) I figure I could catch up on my toy reviews by discussing some figures I purchased a month ago and haven't gotten to. I'll do one now, and two more at some point in the next day or two.

Longrack is the second of four remolds, the second of three that I purchased (gonna skip Blurr, as I already have his Armada version). Like my review of Buzzsaw a few weeks ago, this review is going to both review the toy as well as give comparisons to his original mold (in this case, Hoist).

Longrack and Hoist both share the same vehicle mode, a backhoe. There's no real change in the overall design, beyond color scheme. Except for the Planet Key feature, of course. Hoist's Minicon feature allowed the shovel to move by hooking the Minicon awkwardly to the back. Longrack's is much smoother, attaching the Planet Key lock to the side. Overall, a fun mode, with a color scheme that's much better and much more realistic than his Armada counterpart. I've kept him in this mode as often as I have his robot form.

Robot mode follows a similar theme with many Armada figures. Some parts are pretty awkward proportionally, and parts fit strangely into the overall asthetic of the toy. In this case, Longrack & Hoist share a massive right arm. This thing can cause havoc if you want to pose the figure in anything but basic standing position, as the feet are actually pretty small when compared to other figures in the various lines. Longrack's head is a definite improvement over Hoist: smaller, more detail, better color. The Planet Key feature is identical in this mode as in the other.

Overall, a much cooler toy than I originally anticipated. One detail that I was not aware of, but learned while looking through the Seibertron galleries, is that all of the Armada Remolds are also designed in homage to figures from previous series. Longrack and Buzzsaw both follow from their Beast Wars counterparts, while Blurr & Runamuck (reviewed later) both resemble G1 characters. Just a nice little added attraction that I think Transformers designers should do more often.

Upcoming, my reviews of Jetfire & Runamuck.

But tonight I shop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home