Monday, August 15, 2005

Decisions To Make

So I just finished watching Firefly last night. Damn shame they had to cancel the show, but its definitely getting me in the mood to see Serenity next month.

I had the plan to write a fanfic for ithurtsmybrain's contest pairing Mal from Firefly with the Joker. I had the setup, the premise, and the conflict all lined up.

Then, in the last episode, they went and introduced me to Jubal Early.

I decided a while ago that, since the Joker's had DOZENS of origins between comics, movies, TV, and Elseworlds stories, it would be much simpler to create a Joker in Firefly continuity.

But now I have a huge conflict in deciding 1) how much I want to stray from the original history of the character and 2) how much I want to tie his origin in with Mal.

I have three prongs of thought:

a) Attempt to stay true to the character by making Jack Napier a pre-war criminal that fell into a chemical vat while escaping Alliance custody. This would be the closest to his original origin, but I'd have to come up with some separate motivation for his attack on the Serenity crew.

b) Tie him directly into Firefly continuity by turning Jubal into the Joker. This is possible, as he was last seen floating through space, tossed out there by Malcolm. This would give him a reason to come after the crew, and would tie his origin in directly to Mal. However, having Joker go warped and strange through a combination of cosmic radiation, oxygen deprivation, and Reaver torture would probably cheese the purists.

c) Go halfway. Create a new character, or possibly Napier himself, as a character injured and abandoned during the Civil War by Malcolm. This would make the most sense in terms of bridging the gap between origin and motivation, but the only problem is that, as the series showed, this is something Malcolm would not do. So in order to do it I'd have to do some pretty fun plotline gymnastics to make Malcolm come out the good guy while still allowing Napier to have a reason for a vendetta. Or maybe as an Alliance soldier who loses in mano-e-mano combat with Reynolds.

Something I learned in my searchings for stuff on Jubal: He's named after Civil War veteran Jubal A. Early, a southern general with direct lineage to Nathan Fillion, who plays Malcolm Reynolds on the show.

Slow day, as usual. Slow weekend. Had a BBQ with the fam on Saturday while California relatives were visiting. Finished the show Sunday. That's about all she wrote beyond beating Tomb Raider 2 and starting up Wild Arms 2.

Which I just won at EBay, so I'll have to give my old one back to GameStop.

A few fun links for today:

Great TF reference from a great comic strip. A joke that only I will get.

Cuz, you see, the Transformer's name is Hoist. And he's on Picard. It's funny! SERIOUSLY!

And linking from that same site, Walken in 2008!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home