Thursday, October 27, 2005

Three For Vacation

It's my Friday, and I'll Blog if I want to.

- I forgot my Smallville. Anyone have a copy I can borrow?

- A rule I learned at the Blackjack table tonight: If you sit next to a cute blonde girl, it's good luck. If you lose, you still win. But, hey, I won either way, so double bonus.

- I'm currently working on the next book in Harry Turtledove's Great War series. This is the one where the Confederacy exists, lost World War I vs. the Americans, and start WWII. It's extremely creative, and takes a decent combination of actual historical parallels (The Great Depression, The Holocaust, etc) while adds new issues that could/would exist in North America, like a British Canada, a Utah full of "religious extremists," and a labor issue that would result from a Confederate Holocaust.

They bring in some actual historical figures and use them to realistic ends. Patton's a Confederate general. FDR's Assistant Secretary of War. Ophelia Clemens, daughter of Sam "Mark Twain" Clemens, is an hard-nosed journalist.

The dialogue still bites, but this is a much more enjoyable read than Turtledove's Worldwar series.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home