Monday, October 24, 2005

So Much Stuff

Let's see here... This weekend I purchased:

2 Transformers
2 Movie Tickets
2 meals out
1 box of Little Debbie
1 Pumpkin

Quite a bit to talk about, I guess.

First off, pumpkin. I haven't done a Jack-O-Lantern since, oh, before college. VGCats had a great stencil of Krug that I just had to try out, so I'll be slicing it up tonight or tomorrow in time for my mom's boutique.

Movie = Wallace & Gromit. Cute flick. Had some pretty funny stuff, but nothing too memorable. They did, however, have a CG short beforehand with the penguins from Madagascar. To which I reply "IT'S NOT EVEN NOVEMBER YET! Keep your flippin Christmas cartoons off the screen!" Rrrgh.

Transformers = One awesome figure, one meh figure. I'll go with the meh first, and deal with awesome tomorrow.

As previously stated during my Leobreaker entry a few weeks ago, I like what Hasbro's doing with their character upgrades. Beyond simple repaints, they're retooling some molds in some cases, and completely recreating characters for others.

In the former category, they have released 5 tweaks of characters from the Armada & Energon series. Luckily for me, three of the five are for characters I did not have originally. I'll be getting to those in the coming weeks. The other two (Dark Scorponok & Blurr) I already own, so screw those guys.

For the other three, I purchased the first one last night. Despite some flaws, Buzzsaw is a definite upgrade over its Armada predecessor, Cyclonus, and a good sign of things to come for the retools. For these reviews, I'll be setting the new version alongside the original form.

Buzzsaw's alt mode is a helicopter. Colorization is definitely brighter, and not necessarily better, than the original figure. He's also missing Crumplezone, Cyclonus' Minicon that had the extra bonus of giving him a much improved nosecone.

Both, however, share the trigger mechanism on the tail that allows the propeller to spin. And Buzzsaw does have a retool to allow Planet Key functionality, a feature which has been added to all figures previously allowing Minicon Powerlinx. This allows for a much smoother and simpler activation of special features, in this case the launching of projectiles from under either wing. It's also the first Cybertron figure I've purchased that has a "neutral" Planet Key, featuring only the Decepticon logo with no Planet logo. A nice change of pace.

Robot mode is a better-looking Bot than the Armada version. The biggest change is in the head sculpt, which gives him a cooler feel than the first. More like a hotshot pilot than anything.

The main problem I have with this figure arises in the robot form, however. The joints are extremely loose, occasionally to the point that it's difficult to hold its shape. But as long as it's not bumped too hard, it looks pretty good.

Nothing too extremely different arises through the Planet Key function. The guns are on the arms this time, but that's about it.

Overall, I'm glad I got this figure instead of the Armada version, but it's still an average to below average figure compared to others in the Cybertron line. A bonus, though, is the DVD that comes with each toy released in this wave, with one episode of the Cybertron TV show. Having never seen an ep yet, this should be neat.

In other, non-toy, news, they ran out of names in the Hurricane naming system this year. So we all have learned that, in this event, they start naming storms after the Greek Alphabet. Tropical Storm Alpha is currently spinning around in the Atlantic.

I'm a firm believer in tradition, and all that, but THIS is the way that they should name storms. Keeps things straight, and gives a little more of an element of danger to each storm. Seriously, which storm name would make you more inclined to evacuate: Hurricane Wilma or Hurricane Omega? I think that's a no brainer.

To keep things straight, you go with, say, Hurricane 05Kappa for Katrina, or something like that, with the first two numbers changing for the year. We can say "Ooh, Hurricane Andrew sucked," but unless we look it up, we'll never know when it happened. If it was "Ooh, Hurricane 92Alpha sucked," It answers all of our questions right there: It was the first hurricane of 1992, and it sucked.

And here I start the world's tiniest petition. Who's with me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home