Thursday, February 09, 2006

Holding Pattern

Still waiting... so flippin close!

My work has been keeping me busy the last few days, and my rehearsals have been keeping me busy the last few nights. So here I stand, not having posted in a few days, with nothing remotely interesting to say.

So I'll say this:

Gyllenhaal's rumored to play Harvey Dent.

See me running in slow motion, diving towards the cancel button. "Nnnnnnooooooooo!!!!"

Boy, I really hope that this is just a hype machine report, pegging the hot actor to the hot movie. Because Jake is a terrible choice for Two-Face without absolutely twisting the history of multiple characters.

In the comics, Dent is a childhood friend of Bruce, who grows up to become District Attorney. Jake has a baby-face, which makes him look a LOT younger than 1) Bruce, and 2) a DA.

If this is going to be truth, they'd better remove his connection to Bruce, remove his DA status (possibly as a hot-shot assistant, like Holmes in the first one), and possibly make the Joker trial as his first big case. Because he's just too young, just too soft-spoken for the role.

When Tobey Maguire went down during the filming of Spider-Man 2, rumor was that Gyllenhaal, at the time dating Kirsten Dunst, was going to step into the role. Which would make sense, since he's Tobey's clone. Even after Brokeback, he still plays a college kid better than a grown mature adult.

Yes, Dent is going to be younger than both his comic book and Batman Forever counterparts. But he still has to be able to fit the role comfortably. Liev Schreiber was mentioned, and he's still my favorite for the role. If you want to go hot commodity, Heath Ledger would make a better Dent than Gyllenhaal. Matt Dillon's nominated for an Academy Award, too, he'd be a better Dent.

All three of those actors can comfortably play a friend to Christian Bale.

Gyllenhaal can't.

Hell, if I had a choice, I'd rather see them go nuts and make Holmes the new Two-Face before I want Jake in that role. It would be a shot to the nuts to most fanboys. The sight of his lady as a scarred psychopath with an extreme bi-polar disorder would make Tom Cruise's head explode. But might just be gutsy enough to work.

But casting Gyllenhaal would ruin the Batman franchise. Again. End of story.

Even though I have to say it's still kinda funny to me that Bubble Boy's up for an Oscar.

Also, the article mentions Paul Bettany again for The Joker. I still think I like it. But I'm not sure...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home