Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Out Of Things

I bought Animal Crossing. I'm playing Animal Crossing. These are now funnier.

However, I must say that, so far, I'm somewhat disappointed with the game. I think most of it stems from the fact that, like my experience with Pokemon, I'm the only one I know who plays the damn thing. AC has a wi-fi connection to go to other people's towns. But, for safety's sake, you can only go to the towns of people you know. Since I'm the only one I know... well, I'm hoping the ACC forum I signed up for might be able to find me some folks.

Also, this is one of the rare games that I've played with no discernable end or goal. It's kinda like a simpler version of The Sims, where you meet others, build your house, buy things, earn money, whatever. But there's no way to "beat" the game that I can see.

It has a real-time concept that's pretty interesting. There's an internal clock that goes beyond things like not letting you into places at night, and says "Hey, there's a garage sale on Saturday!" or "You can see your constellation on March 17th at 7:00 pm" or "I'll meet you at your house at 5:30..." pretty fun that way, but it also kinda makes you pay attention to it.

I just hope whoever I start dating next is a game nut, cuz I could see myself buying them a DS to have someone to play with. So far it appears to be one of my only options.

In other news, The Academy Award nominations were announced yesterday and, for the first time since 1997, I have seen NONE of the movies in ANY of the major categories. Not Best Movie, not Best Director. Not Best Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor or Actress. Not Best Original Screenplay, not Best Adapted Screenplay.

I've wanted to see a few of them (Walk The Line, A History of Violence, Crash, Cinderella Man, Hustle & Flow, March of the Penguins, Murderball) but I just... well... haven't had the time, money, or company to. Not until Cinematography (Batman Begins) that I can say I've seen any of them, in theatre or on DVD.

Hell, I've only seen one of the three Animated Features, and I've been meaning to see all three of them!

As most geeks can attest to, it's usually the technical awards that have the movies we've seen. Narnia, Kong, Potter, Sith I've seen, War of the Worlds and Chocolate Factory I haven't. But they fill the geek quotient of the program.

What can I say, I probably won't even watch this year. Tough to find a picture to root for, and it's pretty much an assurance that Brokeback's going to clean up anyway. For most of the categories, there's more than a few actors and actresses that I like, but not enough to go "hooray" for.

There aren't even any dark horses in the race this year, like Johnny Depp from Pirates or Marissa Tomei from My Cousin Vinnie. And there aren't any "If you'd told me five years ago..." nominees like a Jamie Foxx, a Bill Murray, or a Queen Latifa. Actors who, looking at their previous careers, you would have never thought as Academy Award calibre. I suppose you make a case for Michelle "Dawson's Creek" Williams or Matt "Wild Things" Dillon, but they've both had enough dramatic roles in the past where this isn't as much of a shock.

We shall see what happens, I spose. I think I can make the excuse that I'll be too busy moving, but whatever...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home