Saturday, January 21, 2006

To Own, To Rent, To Life, To Death

- I have made my offer for the condo. God, I hope it goes through, there are very few kinds of units I'd spend $800 a month on, between mortgage, taxes, assessments, and association fees. But 2-bedrooms, second floor, 900+ square feet. It's worth it. More on that as events develop, but if all goes well then it's mine in March.

- I just got back from seeing Rent. Finally. Damn good production. There's definitely things I didn't like about it, both in terms of additions and subtractions, but it was 90% true to its roots.

What worked? For one, the loss of very few numbers. There was only one song that I was a fan of that disappeared (Christmas Bells), one that I liked was gone (We're Okay), and one I really didn't like was gone (Contact). Everything else missing was translated into dialogue, but it tended to be the exposition stuff.

Also, the translation of songs to sets were, for the most part, done well. Setting Santa Fe in the subway, Out Tonight to the strip club, and I'll Cover You to the church (obviously) didn't hurt any of them.

In other instances, not so well. They added a whole Maureen/Joanne wedding, which just felt forced, since it was done only a minute or two before Take Me or Leave Me. Parts of What You Own felt like a Creed video. And adding Angel, Collins, and Mark to the end of Another Day when they were still at Life Support in the play (I think, I apologize if I'm wrong) made it seem like "all against Roger" instead of "Roger & Mimi fight."

And Over The Moon... man, I don't even know what to make of it...

But, yeah, otherwise they did great. One Song Glory, Life Support, Will I, Another Day (till the end, at least). They all blew me out of the water. And the All Cover You Reprise made me remember once again that I REALLY wish I could play Collins someday. Ah, well, there's always karaoke...

- I picked up Trauma Center for the DS last night. It's a hell of a game, but I've never played a game before that I have to add as many "conditions" to.

In order to play this game well, you need to:

1) Play on a flat, sturdy surface
2) Play in a well-lit area. But not TOO well lit, or else it'll muddle up the screen
3) Don't be too tired
4) Don't be too wired
5) Don't play while you have something else to take your attention

Basic premise: You're a surgeon. That's, um, all you really need to know.

- About 5 minutes before the movie, I was able to get one of the most gimmicky Pokemon ever. But he has the potential to absolutely kick ass.

Shedinja is the first Pokemon character to be created from the evolution of another. When you evolve Nincada, he becomes Ninjask, a wasp-style character. But the shedded skin of Nincada becomes Shedinja, a 1 HP Ghost/Bug type that can only be killed by super-effective attacks. Which basically means that, oh, 3/4s of all types of attacks will not injure him at all.

He should be fun.

So, this post should probably make up for the lack of posts the last few days. I could also talk about the new Transformer I bought, or the fact that the casting directors of Spider-Man 3, who cast a blonde in a redhead role for the first one, are casting a redhead for a blonde role in this one (Dallas Howard as Gwen Stacy). But that could wait for another time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home