Tuesday, January 10, 2006

This Sucks

I just bought Obi-Wan Kenobi, by first Star Wars Transformer. Great color scheme, fabulous alt-mode, with the potential of being a decent robot.

Unfortunately he's looser than Paris Hilton on a three-day bender, and as such is really difficult to keep in bot mode.

Hmmm...

Lord, I apologize for that...

The wings are really floppy, the head has difficulty keeping up. So right now I'm thinking he's going to be in alt-mode more than regularly, and I can only hope that Vader (TIE Advanced X1) and Fett (Slave-1) are better robots.

Also, I'm looking forward to the Emperor, who's going to transform into an Imperial Shuttle. Has a lot of potential.

So I've mentioned on this blog before that I'm a fan of the Harry Turtledove Great War series. I've now learned, through Wikipedia, that I'm apparently not as big of a fan as I thought. Not only does the whole vast series have a name (Southern Victory) it also has a fan-named timeline. Timeline-191 is so named because of Special Order 191, General Lee's classified battle plans that fell into the hands of the Union in our reality. In T-191, the plans make it to their destination, the Battle of Antietam is never fought, and the South gains its independence.

Wikipedia has a lot to say about this series (and not much to say about his other series, Worldwar, for which I am not surprised), including a list of every actual historical figure mentioned in the series.

What surprised me most about this list was the historical figures I didn't recognize through reading. Highest above this is that Turtledove did something I would have previously thought, for lack of a better term, politically incorrect to do. He killed off a character who is still alive in our reality today in 2005. In the last book of the series one of the Union characters kills a soldier named "Jimmy." Later they mention the character's hometown and mother. Put the three pieces together and you find out that Turtledove killed off Jimmy Carter, in the 191 timeline a soldier for the Confederacy home to visit his mama. Ballsy, but effective.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home