Monday, January 09, 2006

Movie Review Summary

1) The Producers. Hil-Flippin-Larious. It's been a long time since I've laughed this hard at a movie. But maybe that's because I don't see many comedies. Anyway... yeah, great stuff, but it would have been better if the initial casting of Ulla had gone through, with Nicole Kidman in the role of Swedish-Nympho-Secretary-Actress instead of Uma Thurman. Kidman's better looking, and would have been infinitely more hilarious as it'd be a bigger stretch for her to play the role.

But, hey, it also had a song from one of the talk shows I listen to that I didn't realize was Producers. Guten Tag Hop Hop!

And for those Will Ferrell haters out there, don't worry, he's not exactly a huge role, or anything, he's only in three or four scenes, and plays the character very true to his film counterpart.

2) King Kong. It would be highly amusing, but not a huge stretch, if Jack Black was nominated for a Supporting Actor award this year. He did a good job showing off his dramatic chops as the villain of the piece. And Kyle Chandler, who plays the actor in the flick, would make a hell of a Green Lantern.

That being said, this comic (which Sucks) best summarizes what I thought of the movie. Two hours of some of the best action flick I've seen in a very long time. Unfortunately, it was a three hour movie. There's a lot of stuff that was pretty schmaltzy, and other stuff that was really schmaltzy (read: ice skating scene). Unlike LOTR, I'm not clamoring to get the extended edition of this film.

Also, I couldn't decide on how I felt about the relationship between Kong and Naomi Watts. The way she looked at him sometimes, I don't know, made me a tad bit uncomfortable. Sure, I could accept that she loved him the way you'd love a dog that protects you from burglars, but there's sometimes when she had a hint of romance in her eyes that was a little, um, yeah...

And, again, ice skating scene. The hell?

On a more personal level, the last 10 minutes or so freaked me out, too, because I'm afraid of heights.

Also, if you have a fear of bugs... ummm, there's a few minutes in the middle you might wanna skip. The scene that occurs after the cool fight with the dinosaur. Keep it in mind. Andy Serkis (who played Gollum, and was also the body model for Kong) gets it in a bad way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home