Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Friday, Huh?

Hmmm... yup, that's the last time I wrote in this thing.

And since I got bodyslammed here at work today I'm gonna make this one brief. Might get into more later, but, meh, whatever.

So, here's what's new:

- I checked out a few other condos this weekend, and have narrowed my choices down to two. Now I just have to decide how much I'm willing to spend.

They both cost the same, in theory. One is a one-bedroom, 700-some square foot, first floor unit. The second is a two-bedroom, 900-some square foot, second floor unit. But it also has a 14-year assessment of $1000 a year, which'll roughly translate to $80 a month more for the entire time I'm living there. So I have to decide if that's worth extra cost and the extra hassle.

Either way, there's a really good chance I'll be making an offer on a unit by the end of the week, with a move-in date around the end of March.

- I've read a lot of the Battle Royale manga in the last few days. I've come to the conclusion that, despite it being a decent stand-alone manga series, it takes too many liberties with the original story. Basically, they manga it up WAY too much. In the book, the only real surreal bit deals with Kazuo's childhood injury that leaves him unable to feel emotion. The manga has some battles, especially the one between Kazuo and Hiroki, getting the Dragonball Z treatment, complete with blurring punches, chi fireballs, and swirling cherry blossoms.

Also, one of my favorite scenes in the book is blasphemized all to hell in this one. The only scene in the book where you actually see a human side to Mitsuko, the only scene where she actually shows some emotion towards another, is turned instead into a lunatic's mental breakdown. Not good eats.

But, hey, they do add some good stuff. The "funeral scene," with Shuya giving the Lighthouse Girls a proper eulogy, tugged at my heartstrings, and his subsequent mental unbalance, teetering near the edge of insanity before bringing himself back to the game, was perfect.

And I love how no one reading this thing has any clue what I'm talking about.

Okay, more later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home