Thursday, May 18, 2006

Sound The Trumpets!


RING THE BELLS!

BRING ON THE DANCING GIRLS!


SEND IN THE GIRAFFE!


Another Blog by Another Geek celebrates its one year of existence. That's right folks, one year as a drop of tap water in this vast ocean we call the internet.

Yes, tap water. Not exactly bad, not exactly good. It just is what it is.

So, how does one celebrate such a momentous occasion?


By getting the Hell out of Dodge.

That's right folks. This may be the last post on this here blog. Okay, second-to-last.

I'm moving.

I decided to take at least a test run at running a daily blog over at my sister blog, LiveJournal. Currently I've only been using it to post my little bits of fanfiction, but I figure I'll take a shot.

The reasons are six of one, half-dozen of the other, but it basically amounts to this: The few little things that I want to do on this blog, technicality-wise, are things that LJ can do and Blogger can't (at least within my limited techno capacity). So I thought I'd take a swing next door to see if the grass is greener, or if it's the same color, just patchy in different spots.

I'll be losing access to the HTML code of my blog, which means no more StatCounter and no more Hunter License. It may also mean a shortening of my links over on the sidebar, I'll get that figured out today when I start cleaning up over there.

In exchange, I'll be getting three things I've wanted from my blog for a while:

- Access to my avatars. Now that I know what the hell I'm doing with them, I wanna try them out, see if it's worth the hassle.

- No more big long "spoiler" gaps. Over at LJ I can take anything that people may not want to read and collapse them into a single phrase, to be clicked or not to be clicked. It may also come in handy for people who don't want to read my long, involved Transformers reviews. In both cases, I tend to keep writing other blog stuff after I'm done with those postings, so this way people won't have to scan past stuff they don't want to read to get to the stuff they do want.

- And, most important (although a rare occurrence with the amount of people reading this thing), the comments section on LJ has more of a message board feel than Blogger. If someone posts a comment, and I or someone else wishes to respond to it, that response is created as a separate thread. The initial commenter/commentor/whatever will get an email saying that someone has responded, and they can come back and read it and/or respond in kind.

It gives the comments section a much more conversational feel that the Blogger comments board is currently missing.

So... that's about it. There will be one more post here, put up at about the same time that I make my first post on LJ, just to let anyone who passes by know what's going on without them having to read all this dribble. May have more if Blogger decides that idle bloggers should be deleted, I don't know exactly how that works.

There will be a link over on the LJ page back here for anyone who wants to read the archives or get a look at the Links page.

And, hell, if I decide that it's not worth the hassle, then I may very well come back here. Right now it's just an experiment, and I don't necessarily feel like double-posting.

So, with that, I bid you a fond adieu, and I'll see you over on kanedax.livejournal.com later today or tomorrow. If you go over there before I make my final post here, you might very well see some funky stuff going on (I'm still trying to decide on a layout), but it should be all settled by the end of the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home