Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Why Fanfic?

So I had a discussion today with my friend on the bus about books and such, and in the course of conversation I had mentioned that I had written a Harry Potter fanfic. She didn't get the concept, and said she thought we're just leading ourselves up for disappointment when the story continues into anything beyond our ideal.

I tried to come up with a decent response, and ultimately wrote this email, which I thought was good enough where I should post it. So here ya go:

People who write fanfic, for the most part, don't come at it asking "what do I think will happen?" They instead come at it asking "what if this happens?" They know that whatever they come up with probably won't happen, they just imagine a potential reality. Many people do, its just that fanfic writers have to write, its part of what they do. These writers do do their own stories, with their own characters and plots as well, but they write fanfic because they feel that they know these characters, as should anyone who reads good fiction.

Any fanfic story written, whether its for Harry Potter, Star Wars, Buffy, or, heck, I'm sure there's even Charles Dickens fanfic out there, asks questions like "what if Fred Weasley died?" or "what if Harry and Ginny start dating?" or "what if Captain Kirk, Luke Skywalker, and a talking tunafish appear in the land of Oz?" They can get odd, and in the end they're all baloney, they're just people enjoying and identifying with the characters.

But when the next one comes out and its different than what I wrote, I'll say that's totally cool, because ultimately its what Rowling writes that establishes the story. Everything else out there, all the fanfiction, all the discussion that takes place between fans as to "who do you think's going to die in Half-Blood Prince?", its all just fun geek-thought.


So, yeah, it may be incoherant, but, hey, its an email, gimme a break.

Anyway, the car ended up costing me a little under $600 because they needed to replace a few belts, so the victory's not as sweet as it was yesterday, but it didn't hit quad digits, so that's still better than it could have been. That damn "fuel cutout" light is still on, though, even though they didn't seem to see anything wrong at the place I fixed it.

Tonight I dance. Again. I hope. Last night was slightly frustrating, as I missed an audition so I could sit around for over 2 hours before finally spending the last 10 minutes of rehearsal and 10 minutes past the end of rehearsal choreographing a new dance. Now I just have to run it through my head a few times to make sure I have it to show Carol tomorrow. Tonight we do ballet, of which I'm probably only in for 10 seconds, but eh, whatever.

All I know is that its hump-day, and that means we're on the downhill slide towards a 3-day weekend. Which'll be nice, since its my first of 3 3-day weekends between now and 4th of July. Oh, when you're grownup you look forward to the smallest things... *sigh*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home