Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Two Long Ones

Alright, I was planning on going into some geeky stuff here, but first I need to get something off my chest. I'm getting REALLY frustrated with the show, Fiddler, right now. It has nothing to do with the directors. Well, maybe enough to do with the directors to say that I feel sorry for them. It has to do with focus.

I've done a lot of community theater. Half of the shows I've been in have had younger casts. In EVERY instance, frustration sets in on my part. It's a lack of focus on the task at hand. And that boils down to a lack of respect for the directors, for the audience, and for the rest of the cast. There's at least a dozen people in the cast currently that can't keep their mouths shut for 5 seconds, despite being asked 30 times a night... literally...

My director has threatened to kick people out of the cast. If I were in his position I would do it. What this cast doesn't realize is that there are very few people who aren't expendable. Especially the main perpetrators, the cast members under the age of 18.

The leads are very difficult to get rid of. So are the dancers. The Russians are tough to get rid of, because there's so few of them. Ditto with the Papas and, to a lesser degree, the Mamas. But the ones who are the least necessary, the ones who are the most plentiful, the ones who would be missed the least if they were thinned down, are the ones who SHOULD be thinned down.

I don't know if this is ever going to go past my rant here. If it doesn't, that's fine. If it does, I'm sorry. But there are some people who deserve the wrath of the director, and if I were less nice than my director, whom I consider a friend, I would lay the smack down, and there would be a half-dozen fewer kids in the cast.

There, that's out of my system... for now...

A few quick geek things, both of which will be expanded upon as more news develops. First off, Matthew Vaughn is off of X3, citing personal issues, not professional or creative ones. There will be a new director announced in the next few days, as well as the final casting for the role of Angel, who will apparently have a large role in the film, probably of a similar size to Nightcrawler in X2.

Also, there's a big article being posted in the next few days for the movie version of Doom, with The Rock and Karl "Eomer" Urban. Again, more later...

You know what, I'll write about my other long thingy (mind out of the gutter!) tomorrow. It deals with Michael Bay and some of his comments about the upcoming Transformers movie. But I think this is enough to read for tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home