Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Brain Fart

Don't you hate it when you wanted to bring up something on your blog, but couldn't remember what it was? Yeah, me too...

Anyway, I'm currently in this No Man's Land for books. I finished Da Vinci Code on Monday, and am waiting for the next book in Harry Turtledove's Great War series to come to my library. So I took a trip to the library and grabbed some stuff I can read without fully investing myself. I'm currently reading Germany: A New History by Hagen Schulze. Seems like it should be a pretty good book, taking 2000 years of German history and condensing it down to 340 pages, which is what I like. Specialization of historical novels are fine, but if you get too big about a small timeframe you start getting into chapters on grain production levels in 1920's Ukraine, and that's just not fun reading.

DaVinci Code... well, what can I say about it without giving much away? It was an interesting novel, and goes along with a lot of what I learned in sociology classes about the history of Christianity. How much of what he stated is fact v. hypothesis I'm not sure of, but it was pretty neat stuff nonetheless. I could see how people could be protesting the filming, though.

Overall, though, I enjoyed the book. I don't consider it the peak of modern literature like a lot of other people do. My theory is that it gained a lot of support through word-of-mouth, so people who usually don't read books loved it without a lot to compare it to. Not a bad novel, but I've definitely read a lot more enjoyable works.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home