Friday, August 05, 2005

An Evening of Firsts

Well, I went and done it. Yesterday a Live Journal I've been reading for a while posted the results of a contest that it runs. In essence, the writer takes the names of, oh, 1500 characters from various geek sources, like TV, movies, and books, puts them all in a hat, and draws them out in pairs and threes. The resulting list (which is fascinating in itself) was posted yesterday.

The challenge was to find a pairing, two pairings, as many pairings as you want, and write some fan fic off of said pairing.

My creative juices kicked me in the head. I couldn't NOT attempt at least one. So I called three, and at about quarter to 1 this morning I finished my first one, and posted it to the community this morning:

#347: Dr. Evil (Austin Powers)/Anya (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)

There's nothing quite as amusing to me as pairing up two of the most socially inept characters in visual film history. I hope you enjoy.

This is also my first story publicly posted to any source, so, you know, woo hoo.

The deadline is September 30th, and my hope is to get two more done by then. One relatively serious (Mal from Firefly/Joker from Batman, probably from comic book continuity) and one that has the potential to be very amusing (Devon from Buffy/Slughorn from Potter 6). I'd have to alter Joker a bit to put him into the Firefly timeline, but that's easy enough for a character who's had so many Elseworlds personas already. And with Devon's connections to so many powerful and influental people, he'd be a prime target for the Slug Club.

Also, I bought my first Transformers knock-off last night. A yellow version of the G1 Constructicon gestalt. I'm pretty proud of myself, too, I was able to put him together without any instructions beyond just looking at the picture of the whole thing. Pretty neat, and relatively durable for being a knockoff, with six robots costing less than the price of one current TF Scout figure.

Anyway, this weekend's looking pretty up in the air. Tonight I get to go to my first St Paul Saints game of the season, and my first one ever with a group. My friend Sarah had a spare ticket for her company's picnic, and invited me along.

Otherwise not much planned. I WILL clean at some point, especially now that I know I'll probably be starting to move before the 30th of September, as the location of my move is now established.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home