Thursday, November 03, 2005

Rules Is Rules

I had gone into last night with the hope that it'd be relaxing. And that I wouldn't have to worry bout much of anything.

That's before I had to drive to two Best Buys and argued with customer service reps to get them to follow rules that they had written themselves.

An explanation. As I stated in a previous blog, the season of Eating began at the beginning of October with the McDonald's Monoply thing. I spent the last month eating more McD's than I normally would because I was able to collect "money" to use at Best Buy. I collected enough (out of 4 or 5 trips to McD) to get myself a good video game.

Upon arriving at Best Buy #1 (In Maple Grove, MN) I was told that the game I was purchasing, Katamari Damacy, could not be purchased because Best Buy's rules limit a $3 discount per CD and DVD. And, apparently, "We consider a PlayStation game a CD." So, in their minds, a Game Boy cartridge is a video game, but a PlayStation, XBox, Gamecube, or PC Game is a "CD". Too flummoxed to even argue, I left empty-handed.

Driving to Brooklyn Center's store, the floor employee and cashier said that it should be fine. The manager and the customer service rep, however, had a different idea. Even with the rules sitting in front of them, in writing, they continued to argue that "well, it says CD and DVD, but it means CD, DVD, and Video Game." After much arguing and circling, they relented and "would make an exception this time," and I left with my game.

I got the game I wanted. But the fact that I had to make an exception to a rule that doesn't even exist was... well... stupid. And frustrating.

This game had better be worth it.

2 Comments:

Blogger TheFatDiaries said...

Oh my goodness, I laughed so hard. Best Buy, gotta love the selection, gotta hate the experience :)

So was the game worth the argument about the non-existent rule?

~Bethany

BTW, the title of your blog is hilarious.

Thu Nov 03, 01:11:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Bill said...

Worthiness is still out in the open. I tend to buy games with the goal of starting them after I beat the current game... so I'll tell ya in a month... heheheh

Thu Nov 03, 02:08:00 PM 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home