Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Back To It...

Well, now that the deep, emotional post, the post that I promised at the beginning of my blog that I would NEVER do, is out of the way, we can move on to some more interesting stuff.

First off, Lord of the Rings, the stage version. All that is known, beyond the casting mentioned in the article, is that its going to be one play based on three books. I'm assuming that it's just a play, and not a musical. But a musical would be highly amusing. Eowyn in pink fuzzy bikini and all.

Also, the next 80's-franchise-turned-live-action-CGI-movie: Voltron. Part of me clicks my heels, as I loved this cartoon as a kid, was a fan of these big honkin robots before I even heard of Transformers. But it also worries me, as I know that its already been done a dozen times before, in a little-known piece of crap known as Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. Hopefully they'll keep away from the realism of it all and set it in the deepest reaches of space, with the meld of sci-fi and Arthurian-style landscaping from the original series. If its set on Earth then its automatically big-pile-o-crap.

I just saw Mr. & Mrs. Smith last night. Fantastic movie. I've developed this love of Doug Liman, who, between this movie and Bourne Identity, has shown he just has this fantastic knack for creating great spy movies. The tech that he shows off, the action sequences which end up being both gritty and incredibly stylish at the same time... faaaaantastic.

Plus Brad Pitt kicks ass. There's basically three Brad Pitts, one that I can't stand, and two that are really fun to watch. The "oh, look, I'm so hot" Brad Pitt of Legends of the Fall, Meet Joe Black, and Interview with the Vampire I can live without. The "character" Brad Pitt of 12 Monkeys, Snatch, and Fight Club, I will go out of my way to see, the kind of character acting that actors like Johnny Depp and Gary Oldman have in spades. Then there's his third style, which kind of melds the two together, like in Ocean's Eleven, Spy Game, and Se7en. He has this type in Smith, where he's the charming type, but still has enough wit and grit behind the character where he doesn't come off as heart-throb.

So, yeah, great movie. And it did take my view of Angelina Jolie up a few notches, but she's still not in my top ten. Closeups of her and her cracked, split thick lips just don't work for me.

What else? Oh, um, Trampled By Turtles kicks ass.

Plus, after making about a dozen purchases on eBay I've FINALLY made my second sale, selling my hardcover copy of Order of the Phoenix for 7 bucks. I lost 8 bucks on the deal, but, eh, 7 bucks for a hardcover now that the softcover is on sale is always a good resale price.

Tonight I seek more condos. I've decided its time to start searching for places in the 1-bedroom, under 100-grand variety, so tonight begins that search.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home