Friday, July 22, 2005

It's a Meat Party In My Mouth And Everyone's Invited!

Wow, yeah, Dawn's right, that DOES sound dirty...

Barbeque party last night at Carla's. It was a good time, I cooked up some Cub sausages that SAID they were hot... they weren't, really, I was disappointed. Plus I learned how to grill corn on the cob after a few failed attempts. Ah, well, still cost me less than one cob at the fair.

Plus we freaked some of her friends out with our Potter geekdom, so that was a good time.

For some weird reason I decided I wanted to beef up my music collection. I bought a cd at the Electric Fetus by a Duluth alt-bluegrass band called Trampled By Turtles. I'm picking it up tonight, so I'll post my thoughts about it in the next day or two.

I also won an auction on ebay yesterday for a cd by the punk-Irish-folk band Flogging Molly. I've always liked them when I hear their music on the radio, so I figured I'd give their cd a try.

I'm also bidding on the new William Shatner cd, Has Been, as well as the DVD set of Firefly in hopes that I'll be able to get it, watch it, and understand it in time for the movie, Serenity, which looks completely kick-ass and makes me feel bad for not watching the show when it was on the air.

BTW, don't go to www.serenity.com, as it is a website for incontinence. Ew. It's like there's a poop race in my pants and everyone's the winner.

In movie news, Matt Damon has received the blessing of Lance Armstrong to play him in a biopic. Lance Armstrong, great comeback story, unbelievable dominance in his game. But all the talk that's been out lately about him being the greatest athlete in America... I don't know.

I think my main doubt stems from the fact that he doesn't have a lot of competition in his field. If a lot of track stars, hockey players, those kinds of athletes, had decided to invest their time and energy into cycling instead of the other sports, then Lance wouldn't be as dominant as he has been. He's the top player in a sport that doesn't have a lot of great players. If more people growing up said "I want to bike for a living!" then we wouldn't be putting him on such a high pedistal. He'd be more along the lines of an Alonzo Mourning or TJ Ford. Great stories, but not as huge as he's become.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every sport, regardless of it, has its' best players, period. At the professional level, there are always top players who cannot be topped -- sometimes for years. Take the number of pro basketball players (many) who played each year, and yet failed to rival Michael Jorden -- is the NBA a sluff organization putting crap players on the floor each night -- NOT. Same thing with Lance Armstrong, he rides the big ride called the Tour de' France, along side 188 other riders. Yes, he has dominated for seven straight years -- why, because he is the best, not because there is not anyone one person in the world who could not beat him, it's just that there is no one who is brave enough or tough enough to suffer as much as he, and ride as hard as he rides... that's it,not because everyone else in world of professional cycling is weak, or not up to the event. Just face the facts and let it be... LANCE IS THE BEST BECUASE HE IS, PERIOD! JUST LIKE BABE RUTH WAS TO HIS SPORT, OR M. JORDEN WAS TO HIS SPORT.

In sum, to say that someone,i.e., Lance, is only good becuase he competes against those inferior to him is nonsence. Look how long it took for someone like Lance (an American) to come along in cycling, and become a superior cyclist. Don't forget Lance's loosing years as a cyclist, then his cancer... please do your research, thanks.

Fri Jul 22, 04:57:00 PM 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home