Monday, August 29, 2005

Frustration & A LONG Blog

So I know it's as much my fault as anything, but I wanna kick something. I found out over the weekend that I needed to give 60-day written notice to move out.

What's frustrating is that over a month ago I had spoken to someone in my rental office, told them I was moving out at the end of September. They didn't say anything about the written notice when I spoke to them, and said they were put it in their system that I wasn't renewing. And since then they haven't given me any paperwork for a renewal, I assumed everything was kosher.

Now, unless they find someone to get into the place before Oct 1st then I'll have to pay another month of rent. Ugh.

Anyway... so, yeah, I got that out of my system, but it still sucks.

Otherwise this weekend was alright. I saw the Brothers Grimm on Friday (which I will get to later), and also got a new TF, Vector Prime (which I will ALSO get into later). Otherwise it was hanging out with a lot of video games on Saturday night and all day Sunday.

Oh, I DID get to an interesting mini-golf course on Saturday. A place in Edina called Centennial Lakes, its a natural grass course, to the point where there are no walls or anything. Interesting stuff, but its REALLY frustrating to have to putt out of long grass. Nice location, though, it's an odd combination of park, activity area, and strip mall that I really have never seen outside of my trips to the East Coast.

Picked up a few trade paperbacks at the library for a comic called Invincible. It's been around for two years or so, there's about 16 issues in tpb format, and has recieved a LOT of praise from the comic community. I agree with the praise, its a well-written comic about the son of a Superman-type character who develops his powers when he hits puberty. A rare "good" comic from Image.

So, okay, Brothers Grimm. Good movie, but you could definitely tell that the studio had its say in it. Really mainstream feel to it, it was difficult to tell that it was a Terry Gilliam flick, when you compare it to his previous works. First off, they cast one American and one Australian in the title roles if two Germans who speak with English accents. I would think Gilliam had some different actors in mind than two heartthrob-types.

Matt Damon did a decent enough job, nothing too memorable. But I was impressed with Heath Ledger. After this movie, I've started to think of Gilliam as the anti-Peter Weir. Weir took comedic actors Jim Carrey, Robin Williams, and Harrison Ford and allowed them to show off their dramatic chops, in Truman Show, Dead Poets Society, and Witness, respectively.

Gilliam has taken dramatic, eye candy actors and let them loose. Brad Pitt got to play a loud, jerky asylum inmate with a lazy eye in Twelve Monkeys. Sean Connery had a rare shot at comedy (at the time) in Time Bandits. And Heath Ledger gets to play a twitchy, socially-awkward bookworm, the comedic one of the two, in Brothers Grimm.

Good movie, but unfortunately not very weird, a typical Gilliam hallmark.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home