Monday, August 29, 2005

Second Post

So since that last post probably got kinda long and multi-subjected, I figured I might as well post and take another run at it for my review of my latest Transformer.

This thing's probably going to be the longest of most of my reviews, because there's simply more to say for Vector Prime. He's the only Cybertron figure to include a Mini-Con, which is a third classification of Transformer introduced during the Armada storyline. And, among TF collectors, he's the most controversial of all the Cybertron figures. But more on that later.

A review of the toy itself, avoiding the controversial pieces. Vector Prime's robot mode is THE reason why I've been looking forward to this figure since they first announced the line back in early 2004. Explained in the storyline as being one of the original Transformers, VP has this air of regality about him, thanks to the gold embossing and the look of a cloak given by the wings and coloring on the shoulders. His body is very proportionate to humans, without any huge arms or legs. Just a good looking figure. The Planet Key feature for this toy, however, is really bland, with it creating noise by being put into the chest. However, as it requires separate batteries I haven't gotten around to hearing it yet.

Unfortunately, it's extremely difficult to design a figure that looks great as a robot, yet allows for a complex transformation into vehicle mode. VP is no exception to that rule. It feels like they had to design a vehicle around the figure, made simply by putting the arms to the side, flipping the back piece to the top, and folding the legs into the bottom to make a spaceship-type thing. Nothing too great, but not a form I'm planning on showing him off in very often.

VP's Mini-Con, Safeguard, is typical Mini-Con fare. Meaning they're never more than two inches long, allowing for nothing special. His robot mode takes advantage of newer designs in Cybertron by giving him elbow joints.

His vehicle mode is pretty decent, a spaceship/lasergun hybrid that's made primarily to attach to VP's arm or cockpit.

This is the figure I've wanted since the line came out. However, I waited this long to get it, due in large part to the controversy around the figure.

The original pictures I saw of the toy were the Japanese version. When it was eventually released here in the US, a combination of cost-cutting and safety regulations resulted in a figure that's not only inferior to the Japanese version, but inferior to even the toy pictured on the back of the box. They gave the American version a brown, less detailed paintjob on a cheaper white plastic, skimped completely on the Planet Key, and made a lot of the plastic out of soft, bendable plastic.

Due to the major changes between the original Japanese figure and the American version, many collectors refuse to buy the Cybertron figure, preferring instead to spend $40-$50 for an otherwise $20 dollar figure, ordering the Galaxy Force version from import stores or from online.

I had been torn for a long time because of what was said about the Cybertron figure. I had been attempting to get the Galaxy Force figure on EBay for no more than $25 or $30 dollars, but over the weekend caved and bought the inferior version. Still glad I have it, he's still one of my favorite figures of the line so far. But I still have a friend in Japan hopefully keeping her eye open on store shelves for the better-looking fig.

But since I don't like holding my breath, I'm content with this guy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home